Are you suffering from migraines, frequent headaches, jaw pain, or an aching pain in your face? These can all be symptoms of sleep disordered breathing and Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, also known as TMJ or TMD. This condition can make chewing, talking, and other daily activities painful and difficult and is treatable at our Canton, OH dentist office.
Are You Suffering From TMJ Symptoms?
TMJ is a common abbreviation for the Temporomandibular Joint which connects your lower jawbone to the base of your skull. A series of complex muscles, joint pads and tendons help move and protect this joint while it is in motion.
Because this joint is one of the most frequently used joints in the human body, when it becomes inflamed, it can be extremely painful. Problems and pain associated with the TMJ are often referred to as simply “TMJ” or “TMJ Disorder”.
Symptoms vary, but generally can include:
- Pain and tenderness around the jaw, ears, cheeks and neck
- Stiffness in the jaw
- Painful chewing
- Pain while yawning
- Locking of the jaw
- Uncontrolled change of facial expression
- Changes in how the upper and lower teeth fit together
What Causes TMJ?
Many things can contribute to the development of TMJ. Stress can be a factor, as well as anything that can cause tension in the jaw and surrounding muscle groups.
A few common causes of TMJ:
- Grinding teeth or clenching your jaw (also referred to as bruxism)
- Injury to the neck or jaw from a trauma such as an auto accident
- Improper bite alignment
- Sleep apnea
- Dislocation or erosion of the joint
Get Relief From TMJ Pain
At Danner Dental, we have a variety of treatment options available for our patients who suffer from TMJ. You may find that your TMJ issues flare up from time to time, especially during periods of stress. Dr. Danner will work with you to design a personalized treatment plan that meets your unique needs and can relieve your facial pain.
Treatment Options For TMJ Can Include:
- Relaxing the facial muscles with specialized instrumentation to determine the correct placement of the upper and lower and jaw
- A custom oral appliance designed to ensure the ideal position for muscle comfort and decreased inflammation of TMJ
- Botox® injection therapy to reduce jaw pain and discomfort
Your TMJ Evaluation Will Include
- Surface electromyography of the muscles you use to chew and speak both while they are at rest and while you are using them;
- Computerized mandibular scanning of the range of motion in 3D;
- Electrosonography to record sounds and vibrations of your temporomandibular joints as they open and close.
The diagnostic process will likely also include an at-home sleep study. A sleep study can help Dr. Danner determine if you also are experiencing clenching and grinding (and possibly sleep apnea) as you sleep. For more information on sleep apnea, click here.
Schedule Your TMJ Evaluation With Danner Dental Today!
Our dental team is ready to answer any questions you have about TMJ treatment and a solution for your facial pain and chronic headaches.
Check out our full menu of dental services available at our Canton, OH dentist office.